At a recent Council meeting, Local Tories voted down Labour’s proposal to plant more trees in the borough.
As councils all over the Country try to tackle the climate emergency, such as Bury who are investing £17 million to tackle the climate emergency or South shields who have an ambitious plan to become carbon neutral in 10 years. Our Tories have a track record of voting down proposals to do our bit.
Labour tried to lead the way by setting our Council an ambitious target to become carbon neutral by 2030, this was voted down. We then tried to have a tree planting scheme-voted down by the Tories.
Compare this to when Labour was running the Council:-
- Changing all street lights to LED, saving a huge amount of energy.
- Consolidating Many Council offices into 3 , again helping with energy savings
- Making a new park with hundreds of trees.
- Starting to change the vehicle fleet to electric
- Planning new wild life havens as part of shipp program.
Local Labour politicians have a good track record on the green agenda, we can’t say the same for Cllr Jackson and his crew!