The Grimsby “town” deal, is in the first stages, with Part one having been signed by all. Heralded by government as a trail blazer for other towns to follow.
(Picture, ministers and Council signing deal)
What does this deal actually mean:-From the beginning of the Tory austerity program, local Labour have been formulating plans to offset the huge cuts imposed, and have developed a long term plan of regeneration and growth to our economy.
These were presented to government as we haven’t got the monetary capacity to see out our vision and needed a partner to help with this, hence this signing.
The key headlines :-
- South Humber Industrial Investment Program (SHIIP) Council to unlock 195 hectares of industrial land, creating the infrastructure for companies to invest. creating an estimated 8000 new jobs.
- Higher Education presence, a big to bring a credible higher education offer to the town, acting as a regeneration catalyst and slowing down the brain drain in our towns.
- Housing:- supporting our ambitious housing program, identified in the local plan and will accelerate delivery.
- Waterfront, reconnecting the town to its waterfront, fully utilising the water for it for leisure and pleasure.
- Heritage, Saving our remaining heritage, through developing sustainable uses, bring back into use listed buildings.
This Strategic vision which has now come to reality is about making our area a better place to live. It’s all about creating jobs, homes and a cultural offer which in the long term will increase the council tax base and offsetting the massive cuts imposed upon us. Meaning more money to clean the streets, cut the grass, maintain the roads etc etc etc
Just when you thought the article was finished!
watch out for “town” deal two, three, and four!